Dear Fellow Rotarian:
This past year has represented one of the most challenging years for education to date—not just in Guatemala, but throughout the world. Thank you SO MUCH to all of the Rotary clubs and districts who stepped up in a big way to continue supporting education in Guatemala during these unprecedented times! Together, you contributed a total of $507,692* to the Guatemala Literacy Project this year! Please click here for the 2021 GLP Annual Report.
Education is the key to breaking the cycle of poverty that has plagued rural, indigenous Guatemalans for generations. Because of YOUR help, over 8,200 more Guatemalan children and their teachers are receiving the gift of sustainable textbooks, computer centers, literacy programs, and professional development skills this year—providing crucial support to ensure that their education doesn’t fall behind during the COVID-19 pandemic.
In this report, you will find details about our most recent GLP activities. At any given time, the GLP has multiple Global Grants in various stages of implementation. The enclosed report includes the following updates on the various grants keeping us busy in 2020-2021:
- 2022 School Year Projects – Global Grant #2012567:
- A complete list of clubs, districts, and matching funds on the grant. THANK YOU to the 190 clubs and 28 districts who contributed this year.
- A list of Rotarians and clubs supporting Rise Scholars and other program sponsorships.
- 2021 School Year Projects – Global Grant #1989785:
- Photos of project deliveries in Guatemala.
- Lists of the beneficiaries of the Textbook, Computer, Spark, and Rise Programs that are being helped by your support of this grant.
- Thank you letters from the young people who benefit from your help.
- 2020 School Year Projects – Global Grant #1872362:
- A special photo report showing how the projects continued to be implemented during COVID-19. (Although the projects were still able to be carried out, final spending on project evaluation is still wrapping up due to the challenges introduced by the pandemic – for this reason, a final financial report for this grant will be included in next year’s GLP Annual Report.)
And because the GLP never rests, we are already preparing for the upcoming Rotary year! In 2021-2022, will you join us to:
- Maximize your club’s impact by multiplying your funds on the next Global Grant.
- Get books and computers into the hands of students by sponsoring a scholar in the GLP’s Rise Youth Development Program. If your club has supported GLP global grants for years, this is also a great way to connect your club’s support with an individual child who you are helping.
- Join the GLP Project Tour to Guatemala from February 5-13, 2022.
Won’t you help empower these students to rise out of poverty during one of the most challenging times for education in recent history? Fill out this form TODAY to pledge your support for the 2021-2022 Guatemala Literacy Project, or visit our webpage for details.
Yours in Rotary,
GLP Advisory Board Chair
Rotary Club of North Bay, ON
P.S. – Please share this report, with your fellow Rotary club members and district leaders. We want everyone in your club and district to know the impact you have made on these children in Guatemala.
*The total amount of $507,692 includes matching funds from The Rotary Foundation.